Established 1906 as the Philadelphia Storage Battery Company (formerly known as the Spencer Company and later the Helios Electric Company), becvame Philco in 1919; pioneer in early battery, radio and television production as well as former employer of Philo Farnsworth (1906-1971); acquired by Ford Motor Company in 1961.Acquired by Ford Motor Company on December 11, 1961 and renamed Philco-Ford, it continued to make many car radios for Ford vehicles as well as its other products. Eventually, the name was abandoned. Ford sold Philco to General Telephone and Electronics (who also owned Sylvania) in 1974. The Aerospace portion of Philco Ford was renamed Ford Aerospace in 1976.