Schott Glaswerke AG
1879 - Otto Schott commences systematic glass melting trials. 1884 - Otto Schott, Ernst Abbe, Carl and Roderich Zeiss establish 'Glastechnisches Laboratorium Schott & Genossen'. 1945 - The company was forced to relocate to Mainz and change its name to 'Schott Glaswerke AG'. The company headquarters remained in Jena and was renamed 'Jena Glaswerke VEB'. 1989 - 'Schott Glaswerke AG' moves back to Jena, taking over 'Jena Glaswerke VEB'.