1842 - Josiah Stone, George Preston and John Prestige founded J. Stone and Co. 1904 - J. Stone and Co Ltd acquired the business of J. Stone and Co. 1934 - four of the largest propellors ever made for vessels were built. 1958 - J. Stone and Co Ltd became a subsidiary of Platt Brothers and Co and the name was changed to Stone-Platt Industries (company no 00059481).
1980: Stone Manganese Marine (Propeller making division) sold off to Langham Industries (still in production - company no 01491878).
1982: Company went bankrupt; attempted buyout by Hollingsworth but eventually the electrical division was rescued by management buyout.
2009: Final Gazette notice for Stone-Platt Industries. Formally dissolved 24/03/2009