The company was created in 1852 when Roberts & Hall (previously Wilkinson & Roberts) amalgamated with Martin & Naylor of Fargate, Sheffield. It became a limited company in 1866. Although originally based at Shrewsbury Works, Sheffield the company also had factories in London and Birmingham with showrooms in London and Glasgow. They went into liquidation in 1933 and were closed by 1936. Their full name was Richard Martin, Ebenezer Hall & Co.