Frederick Dale Banister 1823 - 1897
- born in:
- London, Greater London, England, United Kingdom
LBSCR Chief Resident Engineer 1860-1896
During his 35 years in residence as Chief Engineer, Banister was responsible for identifying and then the design, surveying and construction of all the extensions and important works to be undertaken by the LB&SCR. These included:
1862 South London line extension to London Bridge: this involved the construction of 1.5 miles (2.4 km) of viaduct for three lines of rails; and the construction of a 186 feet (57 m) bow-string-girder bridge over Bacon’s tannery
1862 extension of London Bridge: Banister gained an Act of Parliament to enlarge London Bridge further, building four more platforms in an adjoining area to the south to cope with additional traffic generated by the completion of the South London line and other suburban lines to Victoria station. In plans laidout and designs approved by Banister, J. Hawkshaw engineered and constructed a single-span trussed-arch roof measuring 88 ft by 655 ft (27m by 200m).
Design and engineering of the East Grinstead, Groombridge and Tunbridge Wells Railway: the extension of the Three Bridges to East Grinstead Railway to link with the SER at Tunbridge Wells Central via Tunbridge Wells West, in a race with the SER.
Extensions to the Wealden Line: redesign railway access to Lewes and then Uckfield, before extending the Wealden Line to Eridge to link with the Three Bridges to Tunbridge Wells West line
Widening of the line from Victoria to Streatham; and the widening of the line from East Croydon to Coulsdon
1876 Portsmouth extension: redesigning the existing Portsmouth Direct Line terminus at Portsmouth and Southsea, to allow extension of the tracks to a new station at Portsmouth Harbour, thus giving direct connection to the companies paddle steamer services to the Isle of Wight
1877 design of the Lewes and East Grinstead Railway: including Imberhorne Viaduct, now better known as the Bluebell Railway
1880 extension of the Cuckoo Line: extension of the Cuckoo Line north from Hailsham to Eridge
1881 construction of the Chichester to Midhurst railway: built to a very grand style with a double track loading gauge, despite only ever being single tracked. The stations confirmed to Banister's preferred Italianate architecture style, each formed in the form of a large "Country House". Lavant and Cocking each had two platforms, while the grand Singleton was built with four platforms and long sidings for the Goodwood Racecourse traffic. Banister also extended and rebuilt Midhurst in the same architectural style
1884 construction of the Oxted Line: by now having passed the regional "race" stage, the LB&SCR and the South Eastern Railway (SER) co-operated on the design and construction of the Oxted Line from South Croydon to Erdidge Junction on the SER's Redhill to Tonbridge Line. Banister then extended the LB&SCR's lines south from the joint station at Hurst Green in two directions: one to East Grinstead; and a later second to Eridge
Rebuilding railway stations: Banister had a love of Italianate architecture, which is reflected in his rebuilding of various stations, including: Brighton; Chichester; East Croydon; Eastbourne; Epsom Downs; Newhaven; Seaford; Sutton; Tunbridge Wells