British pharmaceutical manufacturer and pastille maker who were one of the first British manufacturers of cod liver oil.
1715 – the business was founded in Old Plough Court Pharmacy, Lombard Street, London, and was established by Silvanus Bevan (1691-1765), a Welsh apothecary and Quaker
Late 1700s – the respected pharmaceutical business had strong ties with American doctors because of its good reputation
1794: William Allen (1770-1843), a well-known scientist, began working for Plough Pharmacy. His wife was part of the Hanbury family who also contained several dominant scientists. The family took control of the company after William died.
1797-1807 - Allen and Howard (Luke Howard) partnership. A second laboratory opened for the development of new chemicals in Plaistow developed by Howard.
1808: Daniel Bell Hanbury (1784–1882) joins partnership
1850s onwards – the company grew, and factories were built in Ware, Hertfordshire and Bethnal Green. The factory at Ware specialised in infant’s food, medicated pastilles and malt preparations. The company claimed to be pioneers in Great Britain for developing pastilles and the factory produced 80 different kinds of them, some medicated and some not. The Bethnal Green factory oversaw most of the scientific side of the business.
1856 - Allen & Hanbury; renamed on retirement of John Thomas Barry.
1878 – Instruments were manufactured at a factory in Bethnal Green, London.
1893 - Incorporated as Allen & Hanburys Limited and was located at 48 Wigmore Street, London, England.
1958 - Allen and Hanbury’s Ltd was absorbed by Glaxo Laboratories in 1958.
c.1972 taken over by Escham Bros. & Walsh
2007 – Name and registered offices became 3 Iron Bridge Road, Stockley Park West, Uxbridge, Middlesex, UB11 1BT