Royal Photographic Society 1853
- United Kingdom
The Royal Photographic Society (RPS) is a public society and registered charity dedicated to the promotion of the art and science of photography. A public meeting was held to form The Photographic Society in 1853; in 1874 the name was changed to the Photographic Society of Great Britain and in 1894 the name became The Royal Photographic Society of Great Britain, with the permission of Queen Victoria, which was maintained by subsequent Monarchs. The Society was granted a Royal Charter in 2004. Originally located in London the RPS moved to the Octagon, Bath, in 1981, then to Fenton House in Bath in 2005. In 2002 the RPS's extensive photographic collection was transferred to the National Media Museum (NMeM) in Bradford.