Maryport & Carlisle Railway 1837 - 1922
- Carlisle, Cumbria, England, United Kingdom
The Maryport & Carlisle Railway (M&CR) was incorporated in 1837 to connect the two towns of Carlisle and Maryport. George Stephenson was the engineer of the line, which first opened on February 10, 1845. In due course the total length of railway was 42.75 miles, consequently on the opening of a loop line, known as the Bolton loop, via Baggrow and a branch from Bullgill to Brigham, where the M&CR had running powers to Cockermouth, was opened on April 12, 1867. It was absorbed into the London, Midland and Scottish Railway Company in 1923.