South Devon Railway 1844 - 1876
- Devon, England, United Kingdom
The South Devon Railway, formerly known as the Plymouth Devonport and Exeter Railway, was authorised on the 4th July 1844. The first section of the line to be opened was from Exeter to Teignmouth on 30 May 1846. The line was extended to Newton Abbot on 30 December 1846 and reached Totnes on 20 June 1847. The company was amalgamated with the Great Western Railway on 1 February 1876, shortly after which the London and South Western Railway arrived in Plymouth and a joint station was opened at North Road.