Traces roots back to the goldsmith Richard Wight in 1743 of Maiden Lane, London. John Johnson became an apprentice there and soon took over the business. He had previously been an assayer. In 1839 started photograph processing after the invention by Fox Talbot. In 1927 the offices moved from Finnbury to Hendon. Their Head Office and Chemical Works were located at 335, Hendon Way, London, NW4 and was so closely tied to the area it changed its name from Johnson and Sons, Manufacturing Chemists Ltd; to Johnsons of Hendon Limited but the name had been used on advertisements for the previous two years. In the second world war it decided to concentrate of the manufacturer of photographic equipment especially after Houghton-Butcher was destroyed. In 1972, Johnsons of Hendon was acquired by the Hestair Company and in 1977, was purchased by Eumig and the company name was changed - to Eumig (UK) Limited.