Oneida was formed by a religious and social society in New York. The community produced a number of products including silver flatware. In 1912 their chain business was sold and a year later the silk industry liquidated. But by 1916 they opened an international factory at Niagara Falls. During WWI, Oneida produced ammunition clips, lead-plated gas shells and combat knives, as well as surgical instruments. In addition during WWII, they produced silverware for the Army and Navy, rifle sights, parachute releases, hand grenades, shells, survival guns, bayonets, aircraft fuel tanks and chemical bombs. They also bought a factory in New York that made army trucks, aircraft survival kits and parts for jet engines. During the 1960s Oneida gave greater focus to producing stainless steel flatware introducing patterns such as Chateau to copy sterling silver designs. In 1977 they purchased Camden Wire Co., Inc. and a year later Rena-Ware. In 1983 they bought Buffalo China, Inc. and Webster-Wilcox and a year later D. J. Tableware. The addition of these companies expanded Oneida's market into wire, holloware and china - especially for the food service industry. They also began to market crystal stemware and giftware. In the early 1980s the Rena-Ware holding was sold but then the two re-joined to form Oneida International, Inc., to market Italian-designed tabletop products. In 1996 Oneida bought Rego China, sold Camden Wire in 1997 and bought Stanley Rogers and Westminster China in 1998. In the mid-2000s they bought Sakura, Inc., Delco International Ltd. (Inc.) and Viners of Sheffield Limited. In 2003 they decided to finish manufacturing and source goods instead. Five factories were closed around the world including in Buffalo, although they kept the Buffalo trade name and logos. In 2004 the Sherrill, New York flatware factory was closed. The company still continues to source goods.