Royal Geographical Society 1830
- United Kingdom
1830 - founded as an institution to promote the advancement of geographical science. 1832 - published its first journal. 1859 - granted its Royal Charter under Queen Victoria. 1870 - moved to 1 Saville Row, London. 1913 - moved from Saville Row to Lowther Lodge, the present location of the Society. 1933 - the Institute of British Geographers was formed by some Society fellows, as a sister body to the Society. 1995 - the Institute of Geographers remerged with the Society to form the Royal Geographical Society (with the Institute of British Geographers). 2008 - reputed to be largest and most active scholarly geographical society in the world.