Liverpool Royal Infirmary 1749 - 1978
- Liverpool, Liverpool, Merseyside, England, United Kingdom
1743 - Liverpool Infirmary founded; 1749 - opened to the public; expanded in 1771; 1823 - new hospital and lunatic asylum built on Brownlow Street and renamed the Liverpool Royal Infirmary in 1851. This old Infirmary closed in 1826 and was eventually demolished in 1842 to make way for St George's Hall. 1890 - a new Infirmary building by Alfred Waterhouse was constructed on the Brownlow Street site. 1978 - building was closed and was replaced by the Royal Liverpool University Hospital. 1994 - building bought by Liverpool University and restored.