R & W Hawthorn Leslie and Company Limited 1886 - 1937
- Newcastle upon Tyne, Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear, England, United Kingdom
1886 - formed by the merger of the shipbuilder A. Leslie and Company and the locomotive works of R. and W. Hawthorn. 1887 - built the triple expansion engines for the SS Courier which, in tests, managed an average speed of 17.548 knots. 1888 - built a crane locomotive for Palmers Shipbuilding and Iron Co. 1900 - Frank Theodore Marshall was appointed director. 1907 - acquired land adjoining the Forth Banks works for extensions. 1923 - opened a new office in Westminster at 3a, Dean's-yard. 1937 - the locomotive business was bought by Robert Stephenson and Company, becoming Robert Stephenson and Hawthorns Ltd. 1961 - listed as shipbuilders and repairers. 1977 - shipbuilding business subsumed into British Shipbuilders.