Hawthorn and Company Black 1865 - 1908
- Gateshead, Tyne and Wear, England, United Kingdom
In 1865 William Black and Thomas Hawthorn took over the works of Ralph Coulthard, together they concentrated on the production of industrial tank locomotives, both four and six coupled. The company supplied steam locomotives to collieries and works, particularly in North East England. They also built a number of crane engines.
In 1896 the firm was aquired by Chapman and Furneaux; however, despite this, the company continued using the Black Hawthorn works numbers until they went out of business in 1902. In 1903 the drawings, patterns and goodwill were bought by R & W Hawthorn and Leslie of Newcastle.