1865 - founded by James Noah Paxman, in partnership with two brothers Henry and Charles Davey; traded as 'Davey, Paxman & Davey, Engineers'; originally located at Standard Ironworks in the town;
1876 - moved to Hythe Hill;
1870 - built their first steam engine;
1898 - became a limited company;
1920 - became a member of the Agricultural & General Engineers Ltd (AGE) combine;
1932 - AGE collapsed and company emerged as Davey Paxman & Co (Colchester) Ltd.
1941/42 - also occupied Britannia Works, adjacent to Colchester Town railway station, housing the Development Department after WW2 and some machining facilities prior to closure in 1982, demolished in 1987; Davey, Paxman & Davey began business as general engineers offering services to farmers, millers, builders; manufactured and repaired steam engines, boilers, agricultural machinery, and mill gearing;
1940 - Ruston & Hornsby Ltd purchased a controlling interes and this led to the formation of Ruston-Paxman Group.
1954 - engine controls business of Paxman was reformed as a subsidiary, Ardleigh Engineering Ltd;
1962 - Paxman acquired the engine controls division of the Curtiss-Wright Corporation and merged the two businesses as Regulateurs Europa
1966 - Ruston-Paxman Group acquired by English Electric. The diesel engine businesses were merged into English Electric Diesel Engines Ltd (later English Electric Diesels Ltd). Paxman became Paxman Engine Division of English Electric;
1968 - English Electric was acquired by GEC;
1972 - renamed the engines division as GEC Diesels Limited;
1975 - reorganisation and the creation of Paxman Diesels Limited as a subsidiary.
1988 - GEC merges Paxman, Ruston and Mirrlees Blackstone diesels businesses with the Alsthom division of Compagnie Générale d'Electricité's (CGE) to form GEC-Alsthom; Paxman becomes GEC ALSTHOM Paxman Diesels Ltd
1997, GEC Alsthom diesel engine businesses became Alstom Engines Ltd (AEL).
2000 - Alstom Engines Ltd. acquired by MAN B&W Diesel AG (a subsidiary of MAN AG) to become MAN B&W Diesel Ltd.
2001 - engine business transferred to MAN B&W Diesel Ltd's Strategic Business Unit - High Speed, based at Stockport, Cheshire;
2003 - Paxman name disapeared from most company literature;
2005 - MAN sold the Regulateurs Europa controls business to Heinzmann GmbH.
c. 2005 -.production of the VP 185 engine transferred to Stockport but was not successful so transferred back to Colchester