Abingdon Railway 1855 - 1904
A branch from the projected Oxford-Didcort line was offered to the folk of Abingdon in 1837 - they refused then, but later an independent company was formed to build a 2-mile line to Culham. Authorised on 15 June 1855 and laid to broad gauge, it was opened on 2 June 1856 and convered to standard gauge in 1872. The next year it was extended 3/4 mile to the Oxford-Didcot line at Radley. It was worked from 19 April 1860 by the GWR and vested in it by an Act of 15 August 1904.