Bedford Railway Company 1845 - 1879


An 1836 plan for a line between Cambridge and the L&BR via Bedford was dropped, but in 1844 George Stephenson visited Bedford to discuss a branch which, when authorized on 30 June 1845 and opened on 17 November 1846 was a line from Bletchley to Bedford. It was built by the L&BR, and absorbed by the L&NWR on completion as provided for in the authorizing Act, thought the company was not dissolved until 21 July 1879. It became the basis for the Bedford and Cambridge Railway.