Royal Bavarian State Railways 1844 - 1906
The regional administrative branches were originally called railway offices (Bahnämter) and major railway offices (Oberbahnämter). The latter were located in Augsburg, Bamberg, Ingolstadt, Kempten, Munich, Nuremberg, Regensburg, Rosenheim, Weiden and Würzburg. Prior to 1886 they were subordinated to the "Head Office of the Royal Transport Institution" (Generaldirektion der königlichen Verkehrsanstalten). From 1886 to 1906 they came under the "Head Office of the Royal Bavarian State Railways" (Generaldirektion der königlich bayerischen Staatseisenbahnen). In 1906 railway divisions were created and they reported to the State Ministry of Transportation. These were the Augsburg, Ludwigshafen/Rhein, Munich, Nuremberg, Bamberg, Regensburg and Würzburg divisions which, apart from Bamberg (absorbed into the Nuremberg division) were taken over by the German Imperial Railway Authority (Deutsche Reichseisenbahnen) after 1920.