Aboyne & Braemar Railway 1986 - 1876
This line was sponsored by the Deeside Railway, authorized on 5 Jult 1865 and running from Aboyne to Ballater. It opened on 17 October 1866. In 1868, a Col Farquharson agreed to extend it to Bridge of Gairn to carry timber from his estate, but after the railway had been laid, Queen Victoria bought the forest and the line was removed. The road using part of the route is still known as 'The Track of the Old Line.' The company was absorbed by the GNSR on 31 January 1876 under a retrospective Act of 13 July. On 2 May 1904, a motor omnibus service was introduced between Ballater and Braemar.