Alford Valley Railway Company 1856 - 1866

Nationality:
British

A railway scheme was authorized along the valley between Kintore and Alford, NW of Aberdeen, in 1846 but collapsed due to lack of funds. The idea was revived and a 16.5-mile line in-corporated on 23 June 1856. The GNSR subscribed £15,000, leased the line before completion and worked from opening on 21 March 1859 (public), 30 July (official). The company was consolidated with GNSR on 1 August 1866 under an Act of two days before - the line closed for passengers on 2 January 1950.