Peak Forest Canal Tramway 1796 - 1925
- Buxworth, Derbyshire, England, United Kingdom
The Peak Forest Tramway was originally planned to be about four miles long from Chapel Milton to Dove Holes, in Derbyshire. However, it was decided to start the tramway at Bugsworth (now called Buxworth) and, as built, it was about six miles long. Its purpose was to carry limestone from the vast quarries around Dove Holes down to Bugsworth Basin, where much of it was taken by boat along the Peak Forest Canal and the Ashton Canal to Manchester and beyond. The tramway was eventually opened for trade on the 31 August 1796 and operated successfully until its closure in 1925.