Liskeard & Caradon Railway 1844 - 1917

Cornwall, England, United Kingdom

The Liskeard and Caradon Railway (LCR) was authorised on 27 June 1843, from Moorswater to South Caradon Mine. It opened in November 1844. The LCR had no official powers to carry passengers but did carry them, in open wagons, by using a legal loophole. The passengers travelled free, but a charge was made for the carriage of their hat etc. By 1895 the company was suffering due to the decline in mineral traffic so merged with the LLR. In 1909 the GWR took over the working of both companies. It closed on 1 January 1917