Liverpool Overhead Railway Company 1893 - 1956

Railway company
born in:
Liverpool, Liverpool, Merseyside, England, United Kingdom

Idea was first proposed in 1852 but contstruction did not start until 1889 and opened in 1893. Known locally as the Dockers Umbrella. It ran from Seaforth Carriage Shed to Herculaneum Dock. It was six miles long. Suffered extensive damage in WWII. It was not nationalised in 1948, and was a local undertaking. It closed in 1956 and the company went into voluntary loquidation when it was decided the repairs would be too costly.