Ayr & Dalmellington Railway 1853 - 1858


An authority of 1853 extended lines already built along the Doon Valley by the Ayrshire and Galloway Railway from Waterside to Falkland Junction and from Sillyhole to Dalmellington. They opened for goods on 15 May 1856 and to passengers on 7 August, and the company was vested in the GS&SWR under an Act of 28 June 1858, with effect from 1 August. Closure to passengers came on 6 April 1964.