Glass bottle, painted with the scene of the birth of Saint, from the Santa Maria Nuova Hospital in Florence
Illustrated with an image of a woman giving birth, this bottle originates from the Santa Maria Nuova Hospital in Florence, Italy, a hospital founded in 1288 by a rich benefactor. The hospital was unusual for its time as it was a secular institution. Most hospital care was carried out by religious orders.
The bottle’s contents are protected by a velvet-covered glass stopper and it was bought in Florence by one of Henry Wellcome’s collecting agents, Captain Johnston-Saint, in November 1929.