Bottle, clear glass, empty, for spirit of chloroform, USA, 1862-1863
The label suggests this clear glass-stoppered bottle contained spirit of chloroform. Chloroform was first used in the United Kingdom as an anaesthetic in 1847 by Scottish obstetrician James Young Simpson. It gradually began to replace ether, which could cause vomiting and lung problems. However, this trend was reversed when the potentially fatal toxicity of chloroform became apparent. Vapours of chloroform were inhaled from a face mask or a chloroform-soaked sponge in an inhaler.
The bottle was originally owned by J A Reid, a chemist in Dumfriesshire, Scotland.
- Medical Glass-ware
- Object Number:
- shop round and pharmacy (drugs), pharmacy (glassware), chloroform, pharmacy (drugs), pharmacy (glassware), shop round and spirit
- furnishing and equipment
- tools & equipment
- Bell, W.
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
View manifest in IIIF viewer
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.