Canisters, 3, of "oblivon" capsules, by British Schering Ltd., London, 1950-1970
‘Oblivon’ was a sedative to calm anxiety and fear and was launched in 1953 by British Schering Ltd. Time, an American magazine, described ‘Oblivon’ as “taking the terror out of visits to the dentist”. The label advises adults to take two capsules about 15 minutes before an ordeal such as the dentist. The trade name for the drug, ‘Oblivon’, was probably a play on the word oblivion – a state of complete forgetfulness. Unfortunately, the drug did not relieve pain. One of these tubes has a single capsule remaining, so someone must have used it to get through an ‘ordeal’. In the United Kingdom, ‘Oblivon’ was only available on prescription and was completely withdrawn in 1967.
- Materia Medica & Pharmacology
- Object Number:
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
View manifest in IIIF viewer
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.