Empty bottle for Opium tincture tablets

Made:
1880-1940 in London
maker:
Burroughs Wellcome and Company Limited
Bottle, clear glass, with stopper, empty, 'opium tinture' for laudanum tablets, by Burroughs Wellcome, English, second

Buy this image as a print 

Buy

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

License

Bottle, clear glass, with stopper, empty, 'opium tinture' for laudanum tablets, by Burroughs Wellcome, English, second
Science Museum Group Collection
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Glass bottle with cork stopper for Tabloid brand Opium Tincture (laudanum) tablets, now empty. 76 mm x 34 mm x 23 mm, .03kg. Made by Burroughs Wellcome, English, second half 19th century.

Opium tincture or laudanum was a drug used as a pain killer and to induce sleep or drowsiness. A tincture is an alcoholic solution that was taken orally. Laudanum contained opium and morphine, both of which are from the opium poppy and are highly addictive. The drug was made by Burroughs, Wellcome & Co, one of the first large pharmaceutical manufacturers in Britain.

Details

Category:
Materia Medica & Pharmacology
Object Number:
A650143
Materials:
complete, cork, glass and paper
type:
bottle
taxonomy:
  • drug
  • furnishing and equipment
  • container - receptacle
  • vessel
credit:
Wellcome Trust