Cinematograph camera, with intermittent 'dog motion', for 35mm film, made by Birt Acres in c 1897-1898. Seperate side shutter. Made before the first public showing of motion pictures and is an experimental camera. The viewfinder, drive wheel, spindle and handle have been added later to make the camera complete.
The camera was made for 35 mm film and used intermittent 'dog motion' for adjusting the amount of film fed forward. Birt Acres (1854-1918) worked briefly with Robert W Paul, but their partnership split up in 1895. Acres became a camera and projector manufacturer and established a film processing laboratory, a vital service for the new film industry.