Container for 'Broxil' oral penicillin tablets

Made:
1979-1981 in Brentford
maker:
Beecham Research Laboratories Limited

Buy this image as a print 

Buy

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

License

Science Museum Group Collection
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Metal container, empty, used for Broxil oral penicillin tablets, made by Beecham Research Laboratories, Brentford, 197[-]-198[-]

‘Broxil’ was one of the first semi-synthetic penicillins to be produced. It was introduced in 1959 by Beecham, a major pharmaceutical company (now part of GlaxoSmithKline ). Broxil could be taken in tablet form and as it is acid resistant, it is not destroyed in the stomach but can instead survive long enough to reach the blood stream.

Details

Category:
Materia Medica & Pharmacology
Object Number:
1976-630 Pt19
Materials:
metal and paper (fibre product)
type:
phenethicillin and potassium
credit:
Donated by Imperial Chemical Industries Limited (Pharmaceuticals Division)