Demainbray's four wheeled wagon model
Model of a four wheeled wagon, maker unknown, 1751. Once belonged to Stephen Demainbray.
In 1751 Dr. Stephen Demainbray (1710-1782), a lecturer in experimental philosophy, sought the approval of the Dublin Society for the design of this larger cart, but it was not granted. He claimed it had the advantages of a four-wheeled vehicle with improved steering and could carry heavy weights. The back of the front section and the front of the back form an arc of the circle whose centre is where the shaft from the back is attached to the front. It is made of holly. This model once belonged to Demainbray and was used by him in his lectures on natural philosophy. Demainbray worked as superintendent at the King's observatory at Kew from 1768 and his collection of instruments and apparatus was absorbed into the King's own collection.