Steam locomotive, North Eastern Railway, 2-2-4T No 66, "Aerolite", designed by Edward Fletcher, built at Gateshead in 1869, withdrawn in 1933.
Aerolite is a tank engine, the last of the standard-gauge two-cylinder compounds to survive in this country.
The original Aerolite, built by Kitson, was exhibited at the Great Exhibition in 1851 but destroyed in a collision. This replacement was built in 1869 as a 2-2-2 well-tank, and was rebuilt subsequently in 1886, 1892 and 1902. It became, for a period, a 4-2-2 tank before assuming its present wheel arrangement. It was in its present form that it lasted longest, being used to haul the departmental saloons around the NER and LNER North-Eastern area until it was withdrawn in 1933.