Steam locomotive and tender, London & North Western Railway, 2-2-2 No 3020 "Cornwall", designed by Trevithick, built at Crewe in 1847, withdrawn in 1927 and components.
The locomotive Cornwall was designed by Francis Trevithick and was built at Crewe in 1847, with a 4-2-2 arrangement.
Originally, to maintain a low centre of gravity this engine was built with the top of the boiler recessed to accommodate the driving axle, and it was in this form that Cornwall was exhibited at the Great Exhibition of 1851.
Cornwall was completely reconstructed by John Ramsbottom, locomotive superintendent of the Northern Division of the LNWR, in 1858 to a 2-2-2 arrangement and with a boiler of more conventional design. In 1871, F W Webb added a standard chimney, closed-in safety valves and a cab, but the engine in its present condition dates from 1887 when it was given a new boiler and a circular smokebox door.
Cornwall remained in normal service until December 1907 when it was withdrawn and put into Crewe Works Museum. In 1911 it was returned to service until March 1913, at which point it was fitted with a combined tender and saloon on a six-wheeled underframe and returned to service as the Chief Mechanical Engineer’s personal saloon. During this period the locomotive was stabled in Crewe Works in a shed.
Cornwall took part in the centenary celebrations of the Stockton & Darlington Railway in 1925 and was finally withdrawn from traffic in 1927. The locomotive took part in the Liverpool & Manchester centenary in 1930, which was the last time it was in steam.