Steam locomotive and tender, Stockton & Darlington Railway No.1, 0-4-0 "Locomotion" originally built by Robert Stephenson & Co. in Newcastle and used on the opening day of the Stockton & Darlington Railway on 27th September 1825. Extensively rebuilt on a number of occasions with new boiler and Hackworth pattern plug wheels. Taken out of service in 1841, it was loaned to Pease's West Colliery, Crook and converted to stationary engine use from circa 1850 to circa 1855. Returned to the Stockton & Darlington Railway in 1856, it was restored at Shildon Works to an approximation of its original appearance despite the altered boiler and wheels. Mounted on a display plinth at North Road Station, Darlington in 1857, it remained there for most of the time until 1892 when relocated to Darlington's Bank Top station. Over the decades it has been on display at many locations around the UK and the world. It was restored again in 1875 to steam for the 50th anniversary of the Stockton & Darlington Railway, and further restoration took place at Darlington Works in 1924 and 1961.