Dandy car, North British Railway
Dandy car, North British Railway, Port Carlisle Dandy Car (dark red horse drawn rail coach).
This is one of four horse-drawn Dandy cars built by the North British Railway at its St Margaret’s Works, Edinburgh.
The North British Railway, one of Scotland’s major railways, operated the branch extending from Carlisle to Silloth and its sub-branch to Port Carlisle. Freight services on the latter branch were discontinued as early as 1899, but a horse-drawn passenger service instituted in 1863 remained until early 1914, when it was finally superseded by steam.
- Locomotives and Rolling Stock
- Object Number:
- railway carriage
- vehicles and vehicle components
- rolling stock
- passenger carriage
- British Rail, Historical Relics
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.