Poster, London Midland & Scottish Railway, Harrow School by Norman Wilkinson, 1938. View of the "Old Schools" Text: Harrow School was founded in 1571 by John Lyon, Yeoman of Preston, at the foot of the Hill, who received a charter for the purpose from Queen Elizabeth. The building shown above is the "Old Schools", standing in the School Yard, with terraced garden and approach steps in the foerground. The Western (left hand) Wing was the original building and was designed to contain the entire teaching accommodation of the School, as well as the residence of the Head Master. The remainder ofthe building was added as a "Lyon Memorial" in 1819, when both Oriel windows were inserted, the Western window being that of the original "Fourth Form Room", and the Eastern that of the first Speech Room. Famous Public Schools on the LMS. Other ids: ERO 53351. Format: double royal. Dimensions: 40 x 25 inches, 1016 x 635 mm.
- Railway Posters, Notices & Handbills
- Object Number:
- commercial records and equipment
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.