Daimler 20 h.p. saloon motor car, 1933, registration number XJ 5838. Daimler was founded in 1896 in Coventry, specialising in luxury cars. In 1910 the company became a subsidiary of BSA and eventually bought by Jaguar Cars in 1960. This is probably one of the last Daimler cars to be powered by the Knight double sleeve-valve engine, used consistently since 1909. It also had a Daimler fluid flywheel and a Wilson four speed preselective gearbox resulting in a smooth and silent performance. Daimler Company Ltd was unusual among makers of luxury cars in building their own bodywork, and this is a beautiful example of a 1930s saloon car.
- Road Transport
- Object Number:
- private car
- Wallis, H.V.G.
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.