B.S.A. 600 cc side-valve M21 motorcycle and sidecar, the last Automobile Association road patrol motorcycle outfit (complete with full equipment and accessories). Motorcycles were first used by the AA from 1909 but the mechanisation of the AA Patrols did not begin until 1919. The M21 models were introduced during the Second World War and withdrawn in 1968 when the program to re-equip patrols with minivans was complete. The motorcycle’s side-car was used to carry a range of tools and equipment, but as there were an increased number of vehicles on the road and engineers needed to work more quickly, more tools and equipment were needed which required a van.
- Road Transport
- Object Number:
- Automobile Association
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
View manifest in IIIF viewer
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.