Harrod's electric delivery van, 1932. Harrods was first established in 1834 by Charles Henry Harrod and by 1900 was one of the most exclusive shops in London. Harrods began using electric vans for deliveries in 1919 but by the 1920s electric vehicles began to decline in popularity, replaced by petrol engines. However Harrods continued to make and use electric vehicles for use in their own delivery fleet. The electric motor is rated at 3.5hp giving the van a top speed of 19mph when fully laden and the batteries are housed in two large battery boxes on either side between the wheels. This van was made in 1932 and covered about 320,000 miles before being withdrawn in 1967. It was then restored by Harrods before being presented to the Science Museum.
- Road Transport
- Object Number:
- Harrods Limited
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.