'Clarence' carriage fitted as an ambulance
- United Kingdom
Clarence carriage fitted as an ambulance, model (scale 1:6)
The "Clarence" carriage introduced in 1840 was named after the Duke of Clarence; it was a light coach designed on the lines of the Brougham. This one is arranged as an ambulance, and in this form was commonly used in Scotland until the advent of the motor vehicle.
The body has a wide side door, and a special rear door is provided to give easy entry to a stretcher. It will accommodate two or three patients and an attendant nurse. The inside is lined with polished butternut wood so it can easily be washed with disinfectant. The door lights are made to drop, but the front and side lights are fixed. The rear axle has three-quarter elliptic springs connected by a transverse spring, while the forecarriage has full elliptic springs. The wheels have Collinge axles, and are fitted with pneumatic tyres. Shafts are provided for one horse.
The model won the silver medal from the Coach Maker's Company for 1902, the "only medal given by a Company for a model".
- Road Transport
- Object Number:
- Reid, J.
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.