Large pear shaped x-ray tube of form originally used by Prof. Röntgen, manufactured in Germany about 1896. Inside of glass at end of tube eroded by bringing cathode rays to a focus with a magnet; on stand.
Large pear shaped x-ray tube of form originally used by Prof. Rontgen, manufactured in Germany about 1896. Inside of glass at end of tube eroded by bringing cathode rays to a focus with a magnet; on stand.
X-rays were discovered in 18895 when Wilhem Röntgen, A German professor of physics, encountered unknown emissions from a Crookes discharge tube. Experiments revealed that these rays penetrated some substances more easily than others, and also fogged photographic plates. The fact that X-rays could produce images differentiating between the densities of body tissues, produced results which medical enthusiasts for 'the new light' were keen to exploit. X-rays were also used to treat tumours. This early German X-ray tube is of the form originally used by Röntgen in his research.
- Object Number:
- x-ray tube
- furnishing and equipment
- tools & equipment
- x-ray machine
- Institution of Electrical Engineers
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
View manifest in IIIF viewer
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.