Creed 2P automatic printer, No. 280, in pedestal stand complete with motor drive unit, made by Creed and Company Limited, Croydon, London, England, 1925-1963.
The teleprinter used a development of Donald Murray's five-unit code but incorporated 'start-stop' signals as part of each letter code. This meant that the sending and receiving machines always remained in synchronism without needing highly accurate speed controls on the motors. Equipped with a standard typewriter keyboard, the teleprinter could be used by anyone with minimal training and the messages were automatically printed in clear type. Most teleprinters were equipped with typewriter keyboards for sending messages, but receive-only machines were also made. These were used in, for example, newspaper offices for receiving the output of the principal international news agencies such as Reuter's, Press Association, Exchange Telegraph and Central News. The 2P was the second teleprinter designed by Creed and Company, and was introduced in 1925. It was a much more attractive looking printer than the original 1P model, but suffered from the same problem of lacking an adjustment mechanism, meaning that skill and knowledge were needed to keep it in working order. The 2P remained in use in some newspaper offices well into the 1960s.