Bank of 50 Keith Line Switches recovered from a rural exchange in New Zealand, made by the Automatic Electric Company, Chicago, 1920-1925. Together with spare plunger, two spare line backs, and two pre-2000 two-motion selectors
Bank of 50 Keith Line Switches recovered from a rural exchange in New Zealand, made by the Automatic Electric Company, Chicago, 1920-1925.
The line switch, devised by Alexander Keith of the Strowger Company in 1906, obviated the need for each user's line to be connected to a more expensive selector switch. The number of selector switches employed henceforth only needed to be sufficient to handle the maximum number of calls expected at any one time. This bank of line switches was part of the main telephone exchange in Wanganui, New Zealand, until the mid-1990s. Similar line switches were installed at Epsom and other trial automatic exchanges in Britain from 1912.
- Object Number:
- electric switch
- component - object
- Donated by Waikanae District Museum Limited
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
View manifest in IIIF viewer
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.