Holmes magneto electric machine from Souter Point Lighthouse. (without terminals)
Electric generator, one of two later installed in Souter Point lighthouse, by Frederick Hale Homes, 1867.
The discovery of electromagnetism in 1820 led to the gradual introduction of electromagnets, electric motors and generators during the rest of the 19th century. This steam-driven permanent magnet generator, designed by the British engineer Frederick Holmes, powered brilliant carbon arc lamps in Souter Lighthouse, Tyne and Wear, from 1871 to 1900.
- Electricity Supply
- Object Number:
- generators, electric
- Corporation of Trinity House.
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
View manifest in IIIF viewer
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.