Poster, London & North Eastern Railway, Rievaulx Abbey, Recently excavated chapter house in foreground by Fred Taylor, 1933. Coloured lithograph depicting the ruins of the chapter house and transept at Rievaulx Abbey on the North Yorkshire Moors. Two women pose on the stone seats of the chapter house, while a third takes a photograph. Signed by the artist at bottom right. Title below with the additional text "Helmsley, Yorks, L.N.E.R, Full information from L.N.E.R stations offices and agencies". Printed by John Waddington Ltd, Leeds & London. Backed on Linen. Format: quad royal. DImensions: 40 x 50 inches, 1016 x 1270mm.
Railway poster promoting Rievaulx Abbey on the North Yorkshire Moors, published by the London & North Eastern Railway in 1933. The artist was Fred Taylor, who produced many railway posters between the 1900s and 1940s, most of them featuring architectural subjects. He also worked for London Transport and London Underground and the Empire Marketing Board.
Rievaulx was a remote Cistercian abbey, founded in 1132, which fell into disrepair after King Henry VIII's dissolution of the monasteries between 1536 and 1538. By 1933, when this poster was published, the site was administered by the government's Office of Works. Recent archaeological excavations had uncovered the site of the Chapter House, where the monks held their meetings and each day heard a reading of a chapter of the Rule of St Benedict which governed their lives.
The nearest railway station to Rievaulx was Helmsley, 2.5 miles (4 kms) away. The station closed in 1953.