Daimler four cylinder, 12hp car, 1899. The engine is placed vertically at the front and drives the rear wheels through a gearbox, transverse differential and chains. In 1899, the car's owner, Lord John Scott Montagu, took King Edward VII on a drive in it through the New Forest on one of the King’s early rides in a motor-car on public roads when Montagu was staying at Highcliffe Castle in Hampshire.
- Road Transport
- brass (copper, zinc alloy), copper (alloy), glass, leather, paint, rubber (unidentified), steel (metal)
- 1925-52 Pt1
- furnishing and equipment
- vehicle - transportation
- land vehicle
- passenger vehicle
- John Douglas-Scott-Montagu, 2nd Baron Montagu of Beaulieu
Cite this page
We encourage the use and reuse of our collection data.
Data in the title, made, maker and details fields are released under Creative Commons Zero
Descriptions and all other text content are licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 licence
Download catalogue entry as json
Download manifest IIIF
Our records are constantly being enhanced and improved, but please note that we cannot guarantee the accuracy of any information shown on this website.