'P & K' artificial left arm, Belfast, Northern Ireland, 1920-1925

Made:
1920-1925 in Belfast Northern Ireland and Belfast

Buy this image as a print 

Buy

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

License

Buy this image as a print 

Buy

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

License

Buy this image as a print 

Buy

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

License

Buy this image as a print 

Buy

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

License

Science Museum Group Collection
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Science Museum Group Collection
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Science Museum Group Collection
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Science Museum Group Collection
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Above elbow prosthesis with a leather socket, fibre forearm, heavy metal wrist unit with long lever to operate the flexion and extension of the fingers, by P and K Artificial Limb Co., Belfast, Northern Ireland, 1920-1925. Pringle & Kirk prostheses were made in the North of England for agricultural workers.

Artificial arm invented by T Kirk and Alexander Pringle, and manufactured by the P & K Artificial Limb Company, Belfast, Ireland, c.1920-1925. Known as the P-K arm, the design allowed the wearer to grip with the fingers, which were made of steel springs, by means of a leer set above the wrist and operated by the wearers other hand.

Details

Category:
Orthopaedics
Object Number:
1999-519
Materials:
aluminium alloy, brass (copper, zinc alloy), copper (alloy), cotton (fibre), cotton (textile), leather, steel (metal) and tin (metal)
Measurements:
overall (lying flat [see attached Media Images]): 150 mm x 780 mm x 340 mm,
type:
artificial arm
taxonomy:
  • furnishing and equipment
  • tools & equipment
  • prosthesis
  • artificial limb
credit:
Richmond Twickenham and Roehampton Healthcare NHS Trust