Right above elbow heavy duty prosthesis with a blocked leather socket, (not the original). Dural elbow unit with internal/external rotation mechanism and lock (by means of ball-headed pin set on outer side). Detachable metal forearm section, released by rotation of the knurled ring. Similar ring at wrist, rotating externally releases the hand or other terminal device. Rotating the ring in the opposite direction locks the devices. Webbing appendages. The leather flexion cord passes through the back of the elbow and is attached to the stem on the upper part of the forearm. Certalmid hand with index and middle fingers suitably spaced at the base to permit a pen to be held. Fully opposed thumb with a groove at the tip for this purpose. Made by Blatchford, dated 9 December 1943.
This artificial limb is dated 9 December 1943 and was made for someone who had their arm amputated below the elbow as a result of wartime service. The forearm and certalmid hand are detachable and other appliances can be attached. Certalmid (a mixture of certus glue, celluloid and muslin) was a material developed by the prosthetic limb industry during the First World War and used for many years afterwards. The grooved tip of the thumb, index and middle finger are positioned so a pen or pencil can be held. The thumb is also moveable.
Chas A Blatchford & Sons Ltd, founded in 1890, made the heavy duty limb. The company is still in business today.