Artificial right hand, Europe

Made:
1915-1925 in Europe
maker:
A E Evans

Buy this image as a print 

Buy

License this image for commercial use at Science and Society Picture Library

License

Science Museum Group Collection
© The Board of Trustees of the Science Museum

Certalmid hand with fully opposed thumb with a grooved tip. The index and middle fingers are 'canted' to enable a pen or pencil to be held. In the palm is a screw box fitment for securing a driving cup (for holding a ball on the steering wheel of a car). Probably made by A.E. Evans, c.1920.

This artificial hand is made from a lightweight material consisting of muslin, celluloid and certus glue and known as ‘certalmid’. It was one of several innovations developed during the First World War when many thousands of artificial limbs were needed for wounded servicemen.

The hand would have been attached to the rest of an artificial arm. The index and middle fingers of the hand are positioned so a pen or a pencil can be held. In the palm, a device has been screwed in so the wearer can hold a ball on the steering wheel of a car and drive. The wooden thumb, carved to look as though it has a fingernail, is also moveable.

Details

Category:
Orthopaedics
Object Number:
1999-597
Materials:
certalmid, copper alloy, ferrous alloy and wood
type:
artificial hand
taxonomy:
  • furnishing and equipment
  • tools & equipment
  • prosthesis
  • artificial limb
credit:
Richmond Twickenham and Roehampton Healthcare NHS Trust